Sunday, 25 July 2010

Gereqi 0.4.0 Release Candidate 1

Finally! It's been a long time coming and has taken me many hours to get to a point in that I am satisfied for others to try. Strangely enough the only part I didn't enjoy was trying to create working rpm and deb packages.

There has been a lot of change since version 0.3.9 so here's a list:
  • Sort your media collection alphabetically by Album instead of just Artist,
  • The timed collection search has been fixed,
  • Having multiple directories (recursive or not) as the source for the media collection database is possible,
  • Watching the media collection directories for changes and automatically updating the database is an option made possible by pyinotify,
  • The sqlite backend has been massively sped up
  • Mysql is an option for the database. No prevision to create the database though, that has to be done manually by the user,
  • The album covers are retrieved from albumart.org and stored locally. This method is a lot quicker and efficient but has fewer results than the old google+amazon method,
  • The random mode has been un-dumbed. Previously the random mode was very random and allowed you to play the same song you just heard. Now the random mode will not allow you to hear a song previously played until all in the playlist are finished.
  • The context browser has been used a bit more. Shows some relevant detail but doesn't allow interaction yet.
  • The system-tray icon is now an option.
  • Audio-cd playback now appears to work flawlessly. I didn't have to do anything, it just appears most distros have updated their gstreamer packages.
  • Addition of many tracks, e.g. all tracks by an artist in your database, has been massively sped up. Previously the program would get the track metadata by looking at each file in the filesystem. That metadata is now stored in the database.
  • The playlist saving is more robust
  • Reloading the last playlist on startup is an option
  • A working "settings" page
  • Sorting tracks by track number in the playlist is no longer dumb; tracks are sorted by track & album.
  • A lot of user interface features have been removed as they were not implemented. Previously I left them in to show my intention of what I aimed to do. In reality it just looked messy and gave an unfinished feel to the program.

Installation
To give it a try get the installers or packages from the google-code page. There may be a few caveats on how to install the programme for your distribution. Please leave any issues you have here or at the google-code issues page. If you think you know how to package .rpms or .debs I'd love to hear as I really could do with help there.


Screenshots
To not make this post completely dry here are a couple screenshots:

Screenshot-3.png
Screenshot-2.png
Screenshot-4.png


Saturday, 24 July 2010

Gereqi version 0.4.0 Code Freeze

Things are finally going smoothly for the development of this release. I had several features to complete before getting to this point and now I am 95% happy to leave the application alone and fix bugs.

There remains a stray 5% which is due to my developing habit of refactoring. Finding new methods of doing things and trying to implement them is fun. Bug fixing isn't. The 5% is inserting a small bit of javascript into a html template to save a lot of faff elsewhere in the program. It's not necessary as it isn't fixing a bug that isn't there, just looks nicer.

Hopefully, by the end of the day a release-candidate should be out for testing by the general public. Here's hoping.

Wednesday, 7 July 2010

Useless Widgets

For a long time Gereqi has been looking very alpha; widgets that are disabled or do nothing are the main cause. I've decided that instead of leaving useless widgets in to show future intentions i'm just going to leave them out.

The git tree now reflects this change and from now on if something does nothing it shouldn't be there, so let me know either by creating an issue over at the googlecode site or by dropping me a line.